JAPANESE GARDENS of the WORLDWORLD JAPANESE GARDEN DATABASE
Find gardens by location, keywords, or category with tools in the sidebar.
Koto-in was established in 1601 by Tadaoki Hosokawa. He was a famous warrior under Toyotomi Hideyoshi, studied Zen under the Daitoku-ji abbot, Seigan, and was a distinguished disciple of tea master, Sen no Rikyu. When Rikyu was ordered to commit suicide, he left many treasured possessions to Hosokawa. Koto-in is home to two famous tea houses, Shoko-ken (built by Hosokawa in 1628) and Horai. There is a famous wash basin made from a stone brought from the Imperial Palace in Korea.
Ninomaru Palace was built in 1603 as the official residence of Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu. It is a compound of grand buildings and many gardens surrounded by stone walls, thick gates and a moat. The castle was given to the Imperial Family in 1867 and named Nijo Detached Palace (Nijo-jo).
Photos by Don Pylant The 15 acre Suizen-ji Joju-en is located in downtown Kumamoto. Todatoshi Hosokawa selected the site for the spring-fed pool that provided excellent tea water. He founded the temple named...
Tenryu-ji (Dragon of the Sky Temple) was established in 1339 by Ashikaga Takauji on the site once held as a residence for Emperor Gosaga and Kameyama. Prior to that, Japan’s first Zen temple, Danrin-ji, was founded by Empress Tachibana no Kachiko. The beautiful Sogenchi stroll garden was created in 1345 by Muso Soseki, the temple founder, and is designated a Special Historic Site and a Special Historic Scenic Area. Mount Arashiyama can be seen in the background. It is formally known as Shiseizen-ji, the head temple of the Tenryū branch of Rinzai Zen Sect.
Byodo-in was built by Fujiwara no Yorimichi as a Buddhist Pure Land garden at his family’s Villa in Uji, east of Kyoto. The only building of the palace that survives today is the Phoenix Hall 鳳凰堂. Completed in 1053, it was later converted a Buddhist temple. The Phoenix Hall sits on an island facing east where the statue of Amida Nyorai, carved by Jocho, greets the rising sun as he looks across the Pure Land Lake. At nearly a thousand years old, Phoenix Hall is one of the few surviving examples of Heian period architecture.
This sub-temple of Daitoku-ji was built in 1509 by Zen Daisho Kogaku Sotan and contains one of the most well-known gardens in the “karesansui” (dry landscape) style. Its symbolism follows the abstract philosophy of the Zen sect. Tea master Sen no Rikyu received Zen training in this temple and held many tea ceremonies here. Paintings by Soami on the screens of the temple point to his hand in the design and construction of the garden.
Description: From the Website: The Storrier Stearns Japanese Garden was created by Kinzuchi Fujii between 1935 – 1940 for Charles and Ellamae Storrier Stearns. Fujii (1875 – 1957) designed and built Japanese landscapes across Southern California in the first half of...
The 8 acre Shin-in Garden (Garden of the Gods) is divided into four parts:
Heian no Sono (south): With its many cherry trees, It also contains many plants identified with passages from the famous Japanese novel, The Tale of Genji.
Seiho (west): The Byakko-ike (White Tiger Lake) is the centerpiece for the West Garden. In June, 2ooo iris are in bloom in the lake here.
Description: Ginkaku-ji, or the Temple of the Silver Pavilion was built by Shogun, Yoshimasa Ashikaga as part of his retirement villa. At his death, it became the Zen temple, Jisho-ji. (Yoshimasa's grandfather,...
Like many Japanese-style gardens built in the 1950s and ‘60s, the one-acre Japanese-style garden within Descanso Gardens is a peaceful retreat and a collage of familiar elements that emulate a stroll garden, a pond-and-stream garden, a tea garden and teahouse, and a small raked-gravel garden (karesansui).
Classified by the National Trust “As a place of historical, architectural and cultural significance to be preserved for present and future generations”.
The Campbelltown Japanese Gardens celebrate the sister city relationship between Campbelltown and Koshigaya. The gardens were presented to Campbelltown by the citizens of Koshigaya on 10 April, 1988. The Gardens symbolise the beliefs and religion of both Shinto, the indigenous religion of Japan, and Zen Buddhism.
The garden was a gift to the people of Gosford as a symbol of cultural exchange and friendship, by our Sister City, Edogawa, (near Tokyo in Japan). It is designed in accordance to the original principles of Japanese design of the Heian (700AD) period. The gardens were officially opened in September 1994 by the Mayor of Gosford and the Mayor of Edogawa.
This garden is now one of the most popular tourist attractions on the NSW Central Coast. It is based on a traditional ‘Shuyu’ (strolling style) garden, and covers an area of approximately 4000m2. The meandering pathways lead to traditional Japanese features including, a Japanese teahouse, raked dry stone garden (Karesansui), stone lanterns and a pond filled with Koi fish.
Regarded as Australia’s largest and most traditionally designed Japanese stroll garden, this 4.5 hectare site is jointly owned by University of Southern Queensland and the Toowoomba City Council.
The Japanese Garden is one of the most popular sections in the Auburn Botanic Gardens and is visited by thousands of people each year. It is a very popular setting for organised events including wedding and civil ceremonies and wedding photography.
Set in a private area among the Japanese style garden and rockpool, the Japanese Garden offers a grassed amphitheatre which is perfect for more intimate wedding ceremonies.
The garden was created by the zoo’s horticultural team in 1989 following a design from Hyogo prefecture. In 2001, when the garden underwent major changes with the new design and construction work done by landscaper designer, Eiji Morozumi.
The Japanese garden was built in 1990, to mark the tenth anniversary of the sister-state relationship between Victoria and the Aichi Prefecture in Japan. This garden (and an Australian garden in Nagoya, the capital of Aichi) were created to symbolise the strong friendship between the two states and to reflect the natural beauty of their respective landscapes.
Nerima Gardens has been designed in consultation with Ipswich City’s sister city Nerima, Japan. The philosophy of the garden is to create a place of peace and tranquillity, a place to meet nature and calm the spirit. The garden is designed to take advantage of the existing vegetation and landform of Queens Park in such a way that the visitor is taken on a journey of discovery, where the perspective of the garden changes and lightens the heart.
It’s beautiful in every season, with cherry blossom in spring then irises and water lilies in summer. The stunning Japanese maples put on a dazzling display in autumn, followed by the winter tracery of bare branches and conifers of all shapes, sizes and colours and camellias and azaleas flowering in the cooler months.
This small garden has been a feature of the University for decades. It was created in 1976 with a donation from the Tokyu corporation. It is situated in an open area outside the Social Science Lecture Theatre, near the centre of the campus.
Designed by one of Japan’s leading landscape architects, the late Kenzo Ogata, the theme of the garden is ‘tsuki-yama-chisen’ or ‘mountain-pond-stream’. It features the key elements of stone, water, paths and vegetation.
From the website: Three of the essential elements used to create a Japanese garden are stone, which form the structure of the landscape, water, representing life-giving force, and plants, which provide the color and changes throughout the seasons. Secondary elements...
The view from the foot of Mount Hiei provides a magnificent view of the city and the mountains to the North in a good example of Shakkei (borrowed scenery). This 545,000 square meter villa consists of three parts, Upper Villa, Middle Villa, and Lower Villa. The name comes from the burned Shugakuin Temple from the middle Heian Period.
Description: Kiyomizu-dera (Clear Water Temple) was established in the year 778 AD (Nara Period). After a vision, Zen priest Enchin, went in search the origins of the Yodo river. He came to a waterfall at the...
The Seike Japanese Garden was previously located at the former site of the Des Moines Way Nursery in the City of SeaTac. In danger of being sold due the expansion of SeaTac Airport, the garden was saved by four different governments and the Highline Botanical Garden Foundation. The project is believed to be the largest relocation of a Japanese Garden ever attempted in the United States.
From the Website: Known as Seiryu-en or "Garden of the Clear Stream," the James Irvine Japanese Garden is a "hidden gem" of downtown Los Angeles and one of the most unique and elegant venues in the city. It is open to the public, free of charge, all year round. This...
Use arrows to browse images, or click photo for full screen slide show. From Wikipedia: The Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens is a center for Japanese arts and culture located west of Delray Beach in Palm Beach...
Description: Daitoku-ji the ‘temple of Great Virtue’ is a Buddhist temple, one of fourteen autonomous branches of the Rinzai school of Japanese Zen. It is located in Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan. Daitoku-ji operates some twenty-two sub-temples, the most significant being...
Rikugien was constructed by Yoshiyasu Yanagisawa on this land given to him by the fifth shogun Tsunayoshi Tokugawa. Yoshiyasu spent seven years from the time he was granted the land in 1695 constructing a garden with paths around artificial hills and a pond.
Well-known garden designers and intense community effort have been the hallmarks of Lili`uokalani Gardens since the beginning in 1917. Some of the designers include Nagao Sakurai (1949 restoration following 1946 tsunami), Kinsaku Nakane (1968 restoration plan following 1960 tsunami), Katsuaki Nobukuni (1972 tea house garden), Kazuo Nakamura (1976 bicentennial garden), David Tamura and Fred Nonaka (1997 tea house garden), and Leonard Bisel (2000).
Description: Jizō-in is a small Rinzai sect temple constructed in 1367 by Yoriyuki Hosokawa, with the founding priest, Musō Soseki. Stationed in a thick grove of bamboo, this peaceful place is commonly known as...
Koko-en was constructed in 1992 at the foot of Himeji castle where Samurai residences stood during the Edo period. Its construction commemorated the 100th anniversary of Himeji City. It is named after the Koko do provincial school, founded by Lord Sakai in 1692.
There are 9 individual gardens, including Oyashiki-no-niwa (‘Feudal Lord’s Residence Garden’) and Cha-no-niwa (Tea Garden) with its Sukiya-style tea house, Soju-an. There is also Summer Tree Garden (a garden of deciduous trees), Hill & Pond garden, a garden of flowers popular during the Edo Period, and Garden of the Stream.
Description: From the official website in English: Kodai-ji Temple is located north east of Yasaka Hokanji Temple at the foot of Higashiyama Ryozen Mountains in Kyoto. It is officially called Kodaiji-jushozenji Temple. The temple was established in 1606 by...
The Hojo Garden is in the chisen kaiyushiki (garden which is designed around a pond) style and is said to have been designed in the early Edo (1600-1868) period by the monk Gyokuen, who was connected to garden master Kobori Enshu. The garden includes the Shinji-ike (Heart Character) Pond, the Aoi-an Teahouse, and the Tokugawa Gongendo Hall. The cherry blossoms in the spring, the fresh greenery in early summer, the reflection of the autumn foliage onto the Shinji-ike Pond, and the snowy scenery and clear air in the winter can all clearly be seen, and along with imposing view of the Higashiyama mountains in the background, the garden exudes the moods of the four seasons.
Saimyo-ji: Founded in the early ninth century by Chisen, a disciple of Kukai, Saimyo-ji is situated on a mountain northwest of Kyoto, above the Kiyotaki River. Like nearby Jingo-ji Temple, it is well-known for its beautiful Autumn foliage.