Portland Japanese Garden – Full-time Gardener
STATUS: POSITION FILLED
Printable PDF: Portland Japanese Garden – Gardener
The Gardeners are responsible for all phases of ground maintenance and participate in workshops or any professional training provided. The Gardeners report to the Senior Gardener.
- Provide basic care, daily maintenance, repairs, and improvements of the garden and its environs as it pertains to appropriate Japanese gardening practices and principles
- Participate in team planning, communicating tasks and assignments, record keeping and documentation, and working with staff, volunteers, and interns
- Ensure e-time cards, time tracking, timelines, and correspondence within and outside the institution are completed timely and accurately
- Perform pruning and shaping practices as it pertains to the Japanese garden aesthetic and tradition as established at the Portland Japanese Garden
- Construct and maintain bamboo fences, stone pathways, and other garden structures
- Install, maintain, and repair irrigation systems and water features
- Assist with integrated pest management practices and fertilization application
- Maintain equipment, garden house tools, and garden vehicles
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Take direction and work effectively in a team environment
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniforms
- Self-motivated, organized, and attentive to detail
- Manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Minimum three years of landscape/garden construction and/or maintenance experience
- A./B.S. degree in horticulture or a related field is preferred
- Current driver’s license or ability to obtain driver’s license within 90 days of employment
- Proficiency with email and basic Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to perform intense physical labor year-round in all weather conditions
- Capable of using power tools such as leaf blowers, mowers, and chain saws
- Ability to repeatedly lift up to 50lbs and maneuver heavy items
- Ability to climb and work on tall ladders
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays, and special events as needed
- $20.00 / hr. commensurate with experience
- This is a full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 7:00am to 3:30pm (6:30am to 3:00pm during summer).
- Benefits: health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees); 401k plan (4% employer match after 1 year of service); paid vacation, sick, and holiday time.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to email@example.com, with “Gardener” in the subject line. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.
The Portland Japanese Garden is renowned as the most authentic and finest Japanese garden outside of Japan. The Garden has a year-round staff of 80+ FTE’s and 20+ seasonal staff, supplemented by over 300 volunteers. All of our staff play a vital role in helping our visitors experience the beauty and tranquility of the garden and expand their understanding of Japanese culture.
Here are a few of the benefits our employees enjoy:
- Working at a beautiful, authentic Japanese garden, overlooking the city
- Incentives for alternative transportation for your commute to work
- A workplace culture that prioritizes hiring and promoting from within
- Access to the Garden for you and your family and friends
- The opportunity to attend a variety of cultural events
- Reciprocal access to other area attractions, such as the Lan Su Chinese Garden, Portland Art Museum, and the Oregon Zoo